These are the notes for lost sleep teen tech talk!
- Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker
- Digital Minimalism by Cal Newport
Links to Apps
How to Sleep Better
- Get 8 Hours of Sleep a Night
- Studies have found that the most optimal amount of sleep is around 8 hours. This is the most important step. Try to find what works best for you.
- Stick to a Sleep Schedule
- Humans are creatures of habit. Stick to a schedule so that it is easier to follow the habit and fall asleep. Tip: Set an alarm for when you want to go to sleep
- Avoid Caffeine
- Coffee, drinks, some teas and chocolate contain the stimulant caffeine. It helps you to be more energised and awake but it’s effects take as long as 8 hours to fully wear off . Don’t drink coffee after noon.
- Avoid Large Meals and Beverages at Night
- Large meal can cause indigestion which affects sleep. Digestion also makes it more difficult to fall asleep.
- Don’t Take Naps after 3pm
- Naps after 3pm can make it difficult to fall asleep. Although they can help you to be more focussed when tired during the day.
- Relax Before Sleep
- Don’t overshedule your day so that you do strenous tasks such as studying before sleeping. Do something relaxing like reading or listening to music.
- Take a Hot Bath Before Sleep
- Taking a bath can be relaxing but the more important reason is because it can allow you to decrease body temperature because of evaporation. Studies have shown that a low environment temperature helps you fall asleep easily (19C).
- Dark, Cool Bedroom with No Gadgets Improve Sleep
- As much as possible, ensure your bedroom is dark and cool with curtains and fans/AC. This can help you to sleep easily and better due to a decrease in body temperature.Gadgets distract you from sleeping and decrease quality of sleep if you use them because of blue light. Also find a comfortable bed and pillows to make sleeping a more pleasant eperience.
- Have Right Sunlight Exposure
- Daylight is key in regulating daily sleep patterns so try to get ourside in natural sunlight for at least 30 mins a day. Use bright light in the monring and dim the light in the evenings for the best sleep routine and be more energised in the morning.